New Denture Expectations
- Changes will occur throughout healing. Tissue and bone will continue to change and your experience will improve throughout this process. If you have any concerns about the esthetics of your new teeth, please discuss with us at your adjustment appointment. Most concerns are easily resolved.
- New dentures may feel awkward until you become accustomed to them and may feel loose while the muscles of your cheeks and tongue adapt.
- Your bite (occlusion) may feel very different and even ‘not right’ during the first weeks. We need to let your bite settle, then evaluate and make adjustments as needed.
- If you feel the need to use adhesive, please discuss with us first. You may only need a minor adjustment to improve retention and security. If we do recommend adhesive, we can give instructions on proper use for your individual situation.
- Eating will take practice. Start with soft foods and chew slowly using both sides of your mouth at the same time. Take small bites and eat softer foods until you become accustomed to your denture/partial. Be patient.
- Your speech may be different at first however, you will adapt quickly. The more you practice speaking, the faster you will adapt.
- Should you have any questions or concerns, please give our office a call.